NASHVILLE, TN – Representatives from diverse Tennessee counties recently traveled to Nashville to describe the targeted strategies they plan to implement to raise regional postsecondary attainment and support the state’s Drive to 55 goal. Included in the pilot program are Obion, Weakley and Lake Counties.
The counties are participating in Complete Tennessee’s “College Completion Communities” pilot program, which brings together five Tennessee communities to develop targeted plans to improve local college attainment.
During the College Completion Communities Summit held on September 26 at Nashville State Community College, leaders from each community delivered a presentation that highlighted their local postsecondary attainment and workforce development challenges and described the tactics they will employ to help raise college graduation rates in their area.
The presentations were followed by a panel discussion with Tennessee Education Commissioner Candice McQueen, Tennessee Economic and Community Development Commissioner Bob Rolfe, Tennessee Board of Regents Chancellor Flora Tydings and Higher Education Commission Executive Director Mike Krause.
Complete Tennessee Executive Director Dr. Kenyatta Lovett said, “We are excited and encouraged that the College Completion Communities are reaching across county lines to build and implement targeted strategies that can improve outcomes for current and prospective students. In spite of economic and social challenges unique to each community, each of these communities have demonstrated a spirit of resiliency that offers promise and inspiration for others across the state.
Dr. Lovett continued, “Complete Tennessee looks forward to supporting their efforts in the years ahead and reporting on their progress, so that other counties and communities in Tennessee can learn from and adopt solutions that have a proven positive impact on college attainment and workforce development.”
The five communities’ plans of action are described below:
- Community 1 (West Tennessee): Lake, Obion, and Weakley counties are focused on encouraging college attainment by students’ transition from secondary to postsecondary education, strengthening Adult Reconnect initiatives to help adult workers gain new, in-demand skills, and promoting greater industry engagement to drive postsecondary success and economic growth. Read the full Completion Plan of Action here.
- Community 2 (West Tennessee): Lauderdale and Tipton counties will leverage existing initiatives and cultivate new partnerships that can strengthen support programs for current and prospective postsecondary students and improve Adult Reconnect initiatives so more citizens are prepared to compete for regional workforce opportunities. Read the full Completion Plan of Action here.
- Community 3 (Middle Tennessee): Humphreys and Perry counties will build upon existing initiatives and cultivate new partnerships in order to improve secondary to postsecondary programs and increase industry engagement to drive postsecondary success and economic growth. Read the full Completion Plan of Action here.
- Community 4 (East Tennessee): Meigs and Bradley counties will focus on strengthening Adult Reconnect initiatives to help workers develop new, in-demand skills while also promoting greater industry engagement that can encourage greater success after graduation and entice future business investments in the region. Read the full Completion Plan of Action here.
- Community 5 (East Tennessee): Hamblen, Greene and Washington counties will encourage greater regional college attainment by supporting students’ transition from secondary to postsecondary education, strengthening support programs to promote college retention, and promoting greater industry engagement to build a pipeline of talent that can support future economic growth.Read the full Completion Plan of Action here.
For more information on the College Completion Communities initiative, visit Complete Tennessee’s website at MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from “t.e2ma.net” claiming to be www.completetennessee.org.